REGISTRATION & EVENT LOGISTICS
What does this event raise money for?
- The RBC Race for the Kids at Comer Children’s raises money for the pediatric research conducted at the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children’s Hospital. As we did last year, this year we are making a commitment that at least one of our funded projects will specifically address health disparities for children of color in our community and beyond. The Comer Children’s Hospital 5K is hosted by the Comer Development Board. The Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) is the title sponsor of the race.
When does the event take place?
- Participants will be able to join us in person October 16 or virtually via our RaceJoy app.
- For in-person participants, here's the schedule for this year's race in Hyde Park:
- 8:00a.m. – Pre-Race Program Begins
- 8:30a.m. – Pre-Race Group Stretch
- 9:00a.m. – 5K Walk/Run Begins
- 10:00a.m. – Kids’ Mile Begins
- 10:40a.m. – Kids’ Dash Begins
- The app will include live route tracking, progress alerts, voice messages from our patients and sponsors, results, race information, photos, and more!
- The race will take place at the University of Chicago Quad. The address is 1100 E. 58th Street, Chicago, IL 60637. Check out course maps >>
- Parking is available in the University of Chicago Medicine Garage B for $6 and the University of Chicago Campus North Garage for $10. Please stop by the information tent the morning of the race to pick up discounted parking voucher for Garage B. See parking garage maps>>
How do I sign up?
- Under the "Register" tab, choose an option. Click the “Register solo and fundraise” to register yourself or friends and family as individuals. Each person will have access to their own fundraising page. Click “Start and lead a team” if you will be the captain of a team or would like to ask others to join you. You will have a team page that will track your fundraising totals, and each person who registers for your team will have their own fundraising page within the team. Individual and team fundraising totals will be tracked. Fundraising prizes will be based on individual fundraising totals. Click "Join an existing team" if your friend or family member has already created a team and you would like to join. You will need the team name in order to join. Each person who registers pn the team will have their own fundraising page within the team. Individualand team fundraising totals will be tracked. Fundraising prizes will be based on individual fundraising totals. Click "Make a gift" if you do not plan to participate but would like to donate to the cause at large. If you would like a specific team or individual to receive credit, please donate directly to their page.
What is included in my registration?
- Opportunity to fundraise and earn additional incentives such as a running T-shirt, hat, picnic blanket, sweatshirt, and VIP Experience!
- Virtual participants will have access to a custom virtual course on the RaceJoy app
- 5K run/walk results and rankings
Do I need to register by a specific date?
- Participants can register up until noon CST on Friday, October 14 but we encourage early registration. Additional swag earned through higher fundraising levels will be mailed out following the October 31 fundraising deadline.
How can my company become a race sponsor?
- Sponsorship participation is a valuable marketing opportunity to further promote your brand while supporting Comer Children's Hospital. For more information on the benefits of corporate sponsorship, please see our sponsorship page here.
What is the difference between the registration types?
- 5K Run or 5K Family Walk
This is a timed 5K (3.1 Mile) run or walk. Participants will be able to check their time following the race and will be eligible for age-group awards. Awards will be announced at the post-race ceremony, and certificates will be sent electronically after the event. Children and adults are invited to participate in this event. Participants will receive an official race T-shirt as well as any earned fundraising incentives.
- Kids’ Mile
This is a one-mile race for children ages 7-14. If using the RaceJoy app, children will be able to check their time following the race and will be eligible for age-group awards to be distributed after all participants complete their event. Awards will be sent electronically the first week of November after all participants complete their event. Children who are unable to use the RaceJoy app for any reason will be asked to time themselves and submit their race results through a Google Form.
- Kids' Dash
This is a 50-foot race for children ages 1-6. This event is not timed. At the start line, children will be asked to race in the following age groups: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6. Participants will receive an official race T-shirt and medal.
- Virtual 5K Run or 5K Family Walk
This is a timed 5K (3.1 Mile) run or walk. Participants will track their time and distance through the RaceJoy app. Participants will be able to check their time following the race, but will not be eligible for age-group awards. Children and adults are invited to participate in this event. Participants will receive any earned fundraising incentives.
- Virtual 5K Run or 5K Family Walk + T-shirt
This is a timed 5K (3.1 Mile) run or walk. Participants will track their time and distance through the RaceJoy app. Participants will be able to check their time following the race, but will not be eligible for age-group awards. Children and adults are invited to participate in this event. Participants will receive an official race T-shirt as well as any earned fundraising incentives.
What is the RaceJoy App?
- It’s an app designed for the RBC Race for the Kids at Comer Children’s that can be used on both Apple and Android phones. When the app is in use, runners will hear custom audio messages with fun and informative content to enjoy while you race. It will also track your time using your bib number. Learn and be entertained!
What is the Early Bird incentive?
- If you register by Thursday, September 8, you will be eligible for an Early Bird discount.
Where do I complete my run or walk?
- In person on October 16 in Hyde Park, or through the RaceJoy app for virtual participants. On the app, we will be offering two suggested 5K routes—one in Hyde Park and in Lincoln Park. Participants are also able to run their own preferred route and track it through the RaceJoy app. We will not be offering a suggested virtual route for the Kids’ Mile.
How do I submit my results with RaceJoy?
- When starting your event, please input your bib number when prompted in the RaceJoy app. After the completion of your race, the RaceJoy app will automatically prompt you to submit your race results. In person participants will be timed during the event and do not need the RaceJoy app.
Do I have to use the RaceJoy App?
- While we strongly encourage that you use the RaceJoy app for the best virtual experience for the 5K, it is not required. Use your own favorite app or just run. In person participants will not use the RaceJoy app.
What if I registered for one race and I'd like to switch?
- If you would like to change your race distance, please email email@example.com.
I can no longer attend or participate in the race. Can I receive a refund?
- We are unable to offer refunds. We thank you for your donation.
How can I use my fundraising page?
- The fastest and easiest way for your supporters to make a donation on your behalf is to refer them to your personal fundraising page that you create through this website. All registrants will automatically receive a fundraising page that they can personalize.
How can my supporters make a donation?
- The fastest and easiest way for your supporters to make a donation on your behalf is to refer them to your personal fundraising page created on this website. If they prefer, they can mail a check to “The University of Chicago” with your name and “RBC Race for the Kids at Comer Children’s” in the memo line and mail it to:
The University of Chicago
Attn: Comer 5K
130 East Randolph, Suite 2500
Chicago, IL 60601
How can I find out if my company offers a matching gift?
- Contact your Human Resources department to see if your company has a matching gift program for health organizations. If available, complete your company’s matching gift form and send it in with your donation. You can also use the University of Chicago’s Matching Gift Look Up Tool.
Do I have to have pledges or sponsors? Is there a minimum fundraising requirement?
- While we encourage individuals to fundraise and maximize their impact to support groundbreaking research at the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children’s Hospital, it is not required to participate in the race. For those who do additional fundraising, please see the outlined fundraising milestones. Prizes will be given on an individual fundraising basis, not team.
What are the individual fundraising incentives?
- $250 donated/raised = Comer Children's Hat
- $500 donated/raised = Comer Children's Hat + Comer Children's Picnic Blanket
- $1,000 donated/raised = Comer Children’s Hat + Comer Children's Picnic Blanket + Comer Children's Sweatshirt and VIP Day of Experience
*VIP Experience will be for in-person participants. All participants, virtual and in person, who raise $1,000 will receive the hat, blanket, and sweatshirt. Incentives are based on individual's fundraising pages. Team totals will not count toward individual fundraising incentives.
How do I receive my incentives?
- For in-person participants: T-shirts and kids' medals can be picked up at packet pick-up (information forthcoming) or on race day.
- For virtual + T-shirt participants: All participants that register by October 1, 2022 will receive their T-shirt in the mail by mid-October subject to mail delivery delays. Virtual + T-shirt participants that register after October 1, 2022 will receive their T-shirt as soon as we are able, but we cannot guarantee the shirt by the time you plan to complete your virtual event.
- Additional fundraising incentives, including will be sent out in November.
Can I opt out of receiving incentives if I want all my donations to support Comer Children's?
- Yes! There will be an option to not receive a T-shirt on your registration form. We will reach out to you directly to confirm if you want the other incentives before mailing them.
I have a health problem that keeps me from running or walking a 5K. Can I still participate to show my support for Comer Children's Hospital?
- Yes! We are delighted to have anyone participate. Please consider making a donation to the RBC Race for the Kids at Comer Children’s.
- The overall winners and age group winners of the 5K and Kids’ Mile will be announced at the event, and will receive a printable certificate after the event.
- The 5K age brackets are: 8 and under, 9-11, 12-14,15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-65, 65-70, and 70+.
- The Kids’ Mile age brackets are 8 and under, 9-11, and 12-14.